Friday, January 27, 2012

Something to Share with My Boys...

Jay and Oh,

On January 25, 2012 we went on a "wild goose chase" (Owen, you called it this) to watch the President of the United States land at a small airport close to our home.  We also watched his motorcade.



 Here is his car as he drove passed us.  He waved.  Below that picture is a picture of his plane shared from a person I know who works at the airport.

I know you two may not remember this event, but I want to let you know, you both were pretty excited.  You had fun, you got to see these things first hand to know "it really does happen."  I say you won't remember because I don't remember a special moment that happened when I was 6 years old.  My parents took me to see the Bicentennial train when this great country of ours turned 200.  There is a photo of me in front of it, somewhere;  but I remember nothing of the day.  I hope you boys prove me wrong and remember, even if it is a little bit.  Despite people's opinions of the President's political stances, President Obama is a person to admire.

Boys, I write this to introduce you to why I wanted you to share this event with me.  President Obama captured my attention sometime in 2004 when he spoke at the Democratic Convention.  As usual, I had it turned on the tv and went about doing whatever needed to be done around the house.  This man began a speech that made me stop, stare, slowly walk to the couch and have a seat. (here's a link to that speech: http://usliberals.about.com/od/extraordinaryspeeches/a/ObamaSpeech.htm) He commanded attention.  The words he spoke captured the American spirit and what it means to me.  I had to follow this man's career.  I did.  I attended a political event at ASU in November of 2005 to watch him speak again.  Your Dad and I stood 20 feet from President (then a Senator) Obama as he spoke about education.  It. Was. Amazing.  Still, I tuned in to whatever I could to just watch him speak, hear what he had to say, and wait for those words....."I am running for President."  Long story short, boys, this man became this country's first African-American President.  That, in itself, is pretty damn amazing and proves what a fantastic country we live in and how beliefs are changing.  Now, don't get me wrong; I have many opinions about what has happened since he became President to the right now (shame on Dems for not having a backbone) but I still so admire this man.  From where he came from, what he did to get there, the perseverance, the speaking ability, the confidence...boys, there is a lot to learn from this man in how he carries himself.

I brought you to see his motorcade and plane to understand that no matter who sits in office of the President of the United States; no matter what you may think;  he (and one day "she") is still the President of the United States.  It takes so much to inner courage to get there.  On that alone, every President should be admired and respected.  So, on that day boys, we paid respect and encouraged a great man for that achievement.  President Obama is Our President.  Boys, I am deeply honored to have been able to bring you that "close" to our President.

With love, your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment